Sickness Benefit is a benefit payable to an Insured Person who is rendered temporarily incapable of work as a result of a specific disease or bodily or mental disablement. The benefit is payable at the rate of 60% of the Claimant’s Average Weekly Insurable Earnings for a maximum period of 6 months of medically certified illness.
- A Medical Certificate must be presented certifying that the Claimant will be incapable of work for at least 4 days.
- A Sickness Benefit Application form must be duly completed by the Claimant.
- The Claimant must have been insured with the DSS for at least 13 weeks.
- He must have been employed for at least 8 weeks in the last 13 weeks immediately prior to the start of the illness.
- He must have been at work on the day immediately preceding the illness.
- He must not have engaged in any activity which could result in the Disqualification of his claim.